As the end of a school year approaches, we all look forward to summer break. Use these helpful tips to develop a plan to get your room summer-ready!
Declutter Your Space Without Overloading the Garbage
- If you have not used it in a few years, please consider disposing/recycling/donating it.
- Do not overload garbage cans with books and paper. Use a box or place them near your door and coordinate a plan with your custodians so that they can safely remove the items from the room.
Remember Ladder Safety When Reaching Items from Heights
- NEVER use a chair or desk as a substitute for a step ladder! Take time to get the right ladder for the job. Please ask for help if you need to reach any items that require a larger ladder.
- Maintain 3 points of contact when using ladders. DO NOT carry items up or down the ladder. Get help if needed.
Moving Furniture Supplies or Boxes
- If the item(s) is heavy or awkward, please coordinate with other team members or your custodial staff prior to moving those items.
- Use mechanical devices to move heavy objects, i.e. hand truck, carts, lifting straps.
- Prepare your body for lifting. Make sure you are warmed up and ready for the task.
- Use proper body mechanics. Do not rush. Take time to complete the lift safely.
- Avoid overreaching for items. Keep them close to your body.
- Bend at the knees to lift and move your feet. Do not twist at the waist.
Pest Proof Your Workspace
- Messy and cluttered workspaces attract pests. Keep your workspaces clean and organized.
- Remove all food from your space
- Store as many items in plastic totes to keep them safe
- Consider removing upholstered furniture in your space as they harbor dust mites, pests, and allergen triggers.